A Woman's Wealth

If a woman's wealth were measured by the love her family has for her, I hope I would be counted among the richest of the world!

If a woman's wealth were measured by how much love she has for her family, I know I would be at the top of the list.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Wow, What a Weekend!

So, we took Alexander down to Anaheim on Friday. Orey and Alexander picked me up from work and we headed down. As most of you know, Alexander is not a traveler. He gets motion sick (funny he will be working at Disneyland) and has to live on Dramamine and ginger for the course of the trip. Well, this trip was not different and I happened to have 2 Dramamine with me and planned to get more. Poor Alexander was sick from the get go. So what does any good mother do in a case like that? Insist her son eat something so he will feel better.

We got a bout 2/3 of the way there and poor Alexander got violently ill all over the place in the back seat(s) of the car. My heart went out to him. Usually when we travel I have tp, paper towels, garbage bags, etc., but I did not remember to have Orey grab these. So, we happened to have “A” towel. It might have been a Kleenex for all the good it did. There was just too much. We pulled over, Orey helped Alexander clean up, dug out some clean clothes for him, and sent him a little further away from the freeway to change. Alexander had to strip down to his birthday suit and put clean clothes on his poor dirty body. Then, because we did not have any bags, we had to put the pukey stuff in the full trunk and lay a jacket down for Alexander to sit on. We still had about 2 or 3 hours to go before our destination. By the time we got to the hotel, Alexander was soaked through again because he had to sit on wet seat. Then we found out the hotel laundry was closing in 15 minutes and so we could not do laundry until the morning. Alexander was going to meet up with Keith and have a good time. He took a shower, texted Keith and then went to sleep. They decided to meet up the next day.

By the middle of the night, my poor Orey was up puking. Yup, it was not car sickness at all. It was the flu. I left early that morning and found a Walgreen’s and spent about $65 on medicine, Gatorade, cleaning supplies, clothes soap, etc. It took about an hour and a half but I managed to get almost everything out. It still stunk but was much better than it was. I went back to the room, set everyone up with Gatorade and crackers and such. Took out some more of my plastic gloves (laugh if you will, I did not get it) and headed down to do laundry. By the time I got back, Keithy was there. Alexander was still green around the gills but doing better. I guess it is really bad for about 24 hours and then you just feel sort of yucky and have a tender tummy for a few days after. Poor Orey, we had to check out of the hotel at noon but there were no rooms available at our new hotel until 3pm. I felt so bad for Orey. We went over to Disneyland and sat and watched people. We also went on the Small World ride because it was still set up for Christmas. That was amazing! When we were able to check into the hotel he went straight to sleep. He was so wiped from the afternoon.

Sunday we checked Alexander in to his program. We met his roommate, Justin, who is from Las Vegas and is very nice. There are only the two of them in the room so he really lucked out. Orey and I went grocery shopping and apartment set up stuff shopping. I made fudge for them and then we left. We went over to Disneyland for a little while and hung out. Orey was still feeling yucky and I was feeling a bit emotional.

Monday we hung out and then went to the park. We still took it easy because neither of us were 100% yet. It rained like all get out. We had to purchase “slickers”. Orey did manage to get the frozen pineapple whip he likes. Last time he didn’t get to do it because they were always closed. We were soaked by the time we got back to the room.

Tuesday, we watched the weather for a while. Realized we were going to have to buy tire chains for the ride home so we went all over tarnation for those. Apparently, no one really carries chains in SoCal. Go figure. We also bought umbrellas and a wind breaker for me to wear under my coat. We took to boys to lunch at some International Buffet which they seemed to enjoy. Yucky! We headed out. It was raining amazingly hard all morning. Even the umbrellas were not able to repel the amount of water coming down. We went to the park again. There must have been like 10 people in the park. Okay, I am sure more than that but we were all die-hards! We went on the Indiana Jones ride (Orey was feeling better) and if you have been on this ride you know you have to walk, like a mile, to get to the actual ride. Most of it is down these long indoor corridors. Yeah, it was raining so hard that the rain was coming though the ceiling AND we had a river of water rushing past our feet while we were walking. When we were done and headed out, we had to walk in huge puddles that went up past our ankles. We went on the Pirates of the Caribbean after that. We were actually on the ride, INSIDE the building and we had water seeping down on us!! It was insane! They wound up closing most of the rides. None of the outside vendors were open and several of the restaurants closed too. After several hours it started to clear up. Yes, we stayed in that weather for several hours. And we had a nice time walking around.

By Tuesday night we knew we were not going to be able to go home via 395 nor I5. We had to had 4 or 5 hours on our trip and cut over through Las Vegas and then up to Carson City. We left at 4:30 am and got home bout 4:15pm. As we were leaving, the road took us by Alexander’s apt and so I had to cry for a while. I hate leaving my kids behind. I know they are grown men (even though they don’t act like it when they are together) but they are still my little boys.

Oh, and through this, Marina, Rebekah and Juliet all have the flu up in Carson City and so I had to feel like a loser mother because I was not there to help them feel better either.

Well, that pretty much sums up the highlights of the trip. I can assure you there are more little things here and there that I could add…but then I would just be complaining :~)

Glad to be home and that everyone is safe and where they should be!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Poor Alexander! And poor Dad! What a stressful weekend for Alexander to be sick. As for Dad, that must have been torture to be at the happiest place on earth and throwing up!

I can't believe that weather. So crazy. I told Tyler and he said, "So, did they get their money back?" I laughed at him ;)